(Please read updated version first at http://www.ranjan.in/?p=74 )
Recently I came across benefits of drinking wheat grass juice and I was amazed with what nature has in store. I searched extensively (as usual!) on net and went through lot of material to understand the complication of growing it. In USA lot of support from commercial entity is available to support those, who want to grow it. There are kits available and supplies along with various tools are available to make it easy. I thought I would still write out my experiences in trying to grow and giving other people a hope that one can do it without much problem in India as well. I am very lazy person and If I can do it, so can you!
Some one may ask why wheat grass is so special. It turns out that it is not so very different from many other grasses. For example, maize or barley grass are also quite good and so are many others. However among them what grass juice is more beneficial. I would not want to go into those details since there is plenty of material available on net.
Let me try to put rest of the information in form of FAQ!
- How much time it takes to grow what grass for juicing? – It takes about 6-7 days to grow to about 6 inches, when it should be harvested for juicing. This depends on climatic conditions and so on.
- How to organize this so that I can get juice every day? – What is important is to have this juice fresh. Ideally it should be consumed within 20 minutes of juicing. So what is best is to have seven containers in which to grow this. It should be sowed every day in a different one so that after six to seven days, you start to get fresh grass every day. Once you harvest from one container, you can reuse that and continue doing that. It is also possible to reuse the same plant once or twice more.
- What should be the size of container? – For one person the round pot here seems sufficient, whereas the larger rectangular one is sufficient for three persons(see my comments in the next Blog on this).
- What should be depth of soil in the pot? – One to two inch depth is enough. So one could have more shallow pot. My larger rectangular pots are better that way.
- What soil to add ? – One can add good gardening soil. First time I went to local nursery and asked them to fill it in the pots and had some extra too. While buying the larger pots, I got it filled with the persons selling the pot itself. Soil should not be soggy and should not stick together. One can spread it to dry faster before using it. One should add compost fertilizer before sowing. It has been suggested to not use any chemical fertilizers or pesticides etc.(See my comments in next Blog about this)
- Which wheat to use? – I bought it from local grocery shop. They did not have any choice so used whatever they had. If there is choice, one can use bigger grains.
- What quantity of seeds should be used? – I use two and half table spoons full of wheat for smaller pot and six table spoon for larger one.But you can adjust as per your experience, this is just initial guess.
- What preparation to do before sowing? – Wash and soak wheat for about 12 hours or overnight. Then tie it in thick damp cloth for another 8-10 hours. In Indian warm weather, you should see wheat sprouting by this time. Once is has sprouted a little, it is ready to be sowed.
- How to sow? – Spread the wheat in single layer touching each other so that it is as dense as possible without overlapping. Spread a very thin layer of soil on the top of this. Now spray very small amount of water to just make tit damp. More water can be bad here. Cover the pot with damp newspaper sheets so that damp environment is maintained inside. If it is too hot cover with a plastic sheet or some other thing to keep the seeds in damp environment. Respray twice a day or so to keep it damp. Once you see little sprouts coming out, you can start to expose it to fresh air. Direct strong sunlight for long time may not be good for plants in early stage.
- When it is ready to be harvested ? – Keep spraying water every morning and evening and plants should keep growing. Once it has reached a height of 6 inch or so, it is ready to be harvested.
- How to harvest? – I use a pair of scissors with long enough blade to cut the wheat grass as close to soil as possible. I bought a sturdy Tailors all metal scissors for this as cheap ones with plastic handle do not last long.
- How to Juice? – Wash the grass properly and juice it in spice grinder by adding little water. It would become like a paste in this and now one can strain it through a thin cloth to get juice out of the pulp. It is suggested to use a low RPM machine to do this to keep temperature low during this. Higher temperature destroys some beneficial enzymes. One could use other means of extracting juice as well. I could not find a low RPM machine in India, but they are available abroad though expensive. I am using normal spice grinder for the time being. However I have ordered a hand juicer from eBay (India) for something that looks like this(one below that is on Amazon.com) :
- How to drink? – It is best taken in morning on empty stomach. It is suggested to not gulp it down at once but consume it slowly as if you are eating it.
- What to do after harvesting? – One can reuse the plant couple of times more after which it starts to get little harder. I am still experimenting with this.
- Can I freeze grass? – One can keep it upto 2-3 days in freeze but Juice should be consumed within 20-30 minutes of making it.
There is lot of material on the web and you can go through it. I am a learner and not an expert! See my comments in next Blog on this.
Bagaimana saya dapat alat giling Wheatgrass sedang saya berada di Yogyakarta Indonesia. Email saya firstname.lastname@example.org
Terimakasih atas informasinya kami tunggu.
I used the technique of bottom watering by using double tray so that surface of soil is dry. This way one can avoid fungal growth.
I was growing and juicing wheat grass at my home from past 3 years until I came across someone delivering freshly made wheat grass every morning in my apartment. I am taking Wheat Grass from this company called Pink Kow from past 6 months. Its the best quality Wheat Grass I have tasted. Even the one I use to grow didnt taste this good (sweet). Continuos intake of Wheat Grass has bought my sugar level in control. People should definitely try it.
I think this is their website: http://www.pkdairy.com
Hi this is Amit, I had taken wheat grass powder for 3 to 4 months of meghson make,now am planning to grow wheat grass for myself at home,can you answer few queries
Can we take juice without straining in cloth as it may be more nutritious.
Also can you share your health benefits after starting consuming of wheat grass juice
we want some discutions in releted wheat grass powder productions with you,please give mobil/phone number.
PK Dairy has the good produce of Wheatgrass, especially in Bangalore. I was previously growing it in my home. Now I stopped and order from them directly. I order wheatgrass online on http://www.pkdairy.com
I have only shared bit of my experience about wheat grass and I am not an expert.
Thanks Binaya, I ordered fresh wheatgrass leaf from http://www.pkdairy.com and solar dried it for 5 days. I made my own wheatgrass powder which I carry with me to office.
Hi Rajan, even I have ordered fresh leaves from pkdairy.com
I have one question, how to store it? I dont want to dry it (as heating leaves may loose its nutrients). Currently I store it in refrigerator. It stays good for only 3-4 days at max.
Also I spoke with owner and he said they also deliver wheatgrass trays, should I take cut leaves or wheatgrass trays?
Fresh cut wheatgrass har roj chaiye
Par day 5 kg
Thanks Ranjan for such an informative post. I use to take wheatgrass regularly but once I returned to India, I couldn’t find any reliable source.
I stopped consuming wheatgrass for almost a year and then someone suggested me a good wheatgrass powder called Girne wheatgrass powder. I ordered it from Amazon and consumed it for 3 months. The wheatgrass powder doesn’t taste as good as fresh wheatgrass.
Through your website, I came across http://www.pkdairy.com and called them at my residence to understand the way they do it. I am a hygienic guy and in past, I have seen how some vendors grow veggies in dirty water especially in Mumbai.
The guy who visited my place was the founder. He also bought wheatgrass trays to show how they grow it. I was convinced by the level of hygiene they maintain while growing wheatgrass.
I have ordered wheatgrass trays (unlimited trays per month) from the website https://www.instamojo.com/pkDairy It costs me Rs. 3ooo for around 10 trays that I order every month (Max. I can order is 12 trays per month as per the instructions on their website). Each wheatgrass tray lasts me for 3-4 days easily. Earlier only me and my wife use to take it, now my son and daughter in law also take it.
Thanks Ranjan once again
Hi, as suggested by you and reading about wheatgrass onlin, I ordered cut wheatgrass leaf from Pkdairy.com.
Although their service is prompt and they provide fresh grass, I have a unique problem when I order fresh trays. As I stay in an apartment, the wheatgrass doesn’t get ample sunlight and ventilation. As a result, the leaf turns yellow.
Can you advise me what to do? I want to keep wheatgrass as natural as possible.
I ordered wheatgrass juice online named PK (something). They said it has to be consumed immediately once it’s delivered and cannot be stored.
Although the juice was fine, I wonder how some other companies are selling it with 3-6 months of validity? Pl advice.
I have started ordering fresh wheatgrass from http://www.pkdairy.com
I must say wheatgrass is helpful in curing lot of ailments, just that one needs to be patient. Being a natural ayurvedic product it takes time to cure unlike western medicines.
I am Ranveer singh from patna. I am fresh cut wheatgress delivery in patna . So any requirements plese coll me .
Thank you for sharing an awesome blog on wheat grass as it very much helpful to our mankind so much .
Growing wheat grass easy at home in above information the its great help to lazy peoples and in this all includes in daily routines.
THANK YOU FOR SHAREING
Such a amazing information about wheat grass product.
very good and useful products
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS BLOG
Very good information,
<a href="https:// https://www.better-health.in/2020/11/benefits-of-wheat-grass.html