DYPIU Launches Multitrack Futuristic BTech(Bioengineering) Program
I am founder Vice Chancellor of D Y Patil International University(DYPIU), Akurdi, Pune setup in 2018. After heading TIFAC for 5 years (2013-18), where Technology Vision 2035 was developed during my tenure for India, I wanted to come back to Education Sector since I felt that it is the top priority to achieve the vision. In 2019, we developed a very advanced and flexible program of Computer Science and Engineering with multiple tracks of specialization. With AICTE appreciating the program and making many similar changes in the Engineering program of 2020-21, it has become a trendsetter. Please see the details at :
Now we are starting to innovate in our offerings in other fields also. This blog is about our new BTech(BioEngineering) program of 4 years. We want to follow the same system of multitrack specialization as we did for BTech(Comp Sci and Engg). After inviting suggestions from all of you, we made changes. Here are the details.
Program would have foundational courses common to all tracks till 5th semester. In 6th and 7th Semester, it would have 6 track specific subjects. We have finalized 4 tracks of specialization:
- Bio-Chemical Engineering – Bioprocess engineering catering to large-scale cell growth and protein production
- Bio-Medical Engineering – Medical and assistive devices including robotics and instrumentation
- Cell and Tissue Engineering – Cell level manipulations, tissue engineering, biomaterials and synthetic biology
- Food Biotechnology – Food related bio-modifications and technological developments. Cellular Agriculture is likely to revolutionize food production in many ways. This would be integrated in curriculum.
Meticulous combination of Engineering principles with Biological concepts: Students are introduced to a very carefully interwoven course of important topics of engineering and biology. This is an interdisciplinary course on the emerging technologies of biological applications.
Multi Track Specialization: Students are given an option at the end of the 4th semester (not at the time of admission) to choose one of the specialization tracks to make sure that they exercise this option after getting a better understanding of various choices. In each track, students get to learn 6-7 subjects to get in-depth knowledge.
Biocomputing: Keeping abreast with the current developments in the field of computing and data analysis, we introduce biocomputing tools and bioinformatics at a very early stage.
Design thinking and Fabrication: Students learn about the fabrication tools and designing techniques which can be applied in bioengineering design principles and can be realised in the fabrication workshop.
Futuristic Learning by experience:
- Latest Tools/Techniques: Various elements of the program, ensure that students learn from experience. The main objective of the program is to converge latest technologies with modern tools. Use of Artificial Intelligence is going to be integrated throughout the curriculum
- Internships: Students start internships/projects from the first-year summer. Emphasis will be given on solving problems affecting rural/societal/small industry and to develop empathy among students.
- Future Proof Curriculum: We have designed this program such that the courses including the specialization track courses can be constantly upgraded and revamped to prepare the students with the necessary competencies in order to excel and become future ready as the part of the workforce.
Technology Commercialization and Entrepreneurship: The students are encouraged to learn to take challenges, risks and create rather than merely be absorbed into the workforce. The course trains them to solve problems and encourages them to become a vital player in the world of innovation and entrepreneurship.
Here are the likely foundational courses:
Track Specific Electives